Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dream Girl and Years Later

I sat in front of my acting for non-majors class after my improv listening to my professor critique me. He asked me "Have you ever had a girl you liked a lot? A dream girl?" This question was supposed to help me create a more emotional scene without the intention to throw my mind in a frenzy.

I can say I have liked a girl so much to the point where I can identify her as my dream girl. I remember the day I met her. I was playing basketball with my friends at a park during my freshman year of high school when she walked by. My friend called out to her and asked if she wanted to bring a volleyball and play with us. She lived nearby and said okay. That was the first time I met her. Didn't give off a good first impression since I am terrible at volleyball. Lucky for me she went to my school. I happened to walk by her in the hallway weeks later and we sort of recognized each other. We confirmed that we met at the park once.

It all unraveled from there. I remember writing a Valentine's Day card for her my sophomore year. I remember panicking all day before I finally gave it to her at the end of the day. Our lockers happened to be near each other. I knew she wasn't interested in me. But I still gave her that card. We didn't speak much afterwards. I sort of moved on, but she was still in the back of my mind.

I don't recall talking to her at all my junior year. I never had any classes with her (and I never did in all four years of high school). But we did have ninth period free our senior year. We hung out with a group of mutual friends every ninth period on Tuesdays I believe. I was pretty sure she forgot about the Valentine's card or at least didn't care anymore. Though I say I got over her, I still liked her. I remember she was having a difficult time with prom. She was waiting for this guy to ask her. I gathered up my guts and asked her if she would go with me if he didn't ask her. She gave me this amazing smile and said yes. Though I felt bad since this guy is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and I want to apologize to him for the pain I've caused him even after all these years. He wanted to go with her but he didn't want to burden her since he couldn't dance. She's an amazing dancer. Anyways, I ended up going to prom with her and that will probably go down as the biggest highlight of my high school life.

I wanted to ask her out. But she fell out of contact afterwards. Half the blame should go to me for not trying harder. But things happen. We still keep in touch now and then. She has a boyfriend now. And I am truly happy for her.

I can now say I have gotten over her. Sure, deep down in my heart, she will still be my dream girl from high school. I will always hold on to that. Even after all these years. But the clock is ticking and my mom won't stop nagging.

So when my professor asked if I ever had a dream girl, I just nodded.

No comments:

Post a Comment