Monday, July 11, 2011

The Dreaded Summer School and English

Summer.

The urge to get a drink every other minute because the weather overrides any good judgement about saving money. Throw in the want to stay indoors to stay near an air conditioner. I don't remember what life was like without one. Actually, I just remembered. Whoops. I was in pre-K and lived with my grandparents in Canada. She owned a grocery shop and I helped myself to a "Nesquik Ice Pop" whenever I wanted.

Then there's summer school. Yes, the dreaded summer school.

I guess this is a post to those who wants to or doesn't know what I'm doing this summer. Yes, I'm in summer school. No, not as a student. I'm a teacher and not enjoying it.

I now understand the pain and frustration my teachers had dealing with me when I was younger. No matter how many times a teacher told me to stop talking, I would always found a way to talk to my friends. I was disruptive and annoying. Oh, how I wish the kids I teach weren't like the annoying brat I was.

My "homeroom" class is the sixth grade, but I teach English to grades five through eight. While I'm on the topic of English, I would like to applaud the New York City education system < /sarcasm>. I can't think of anywhere else where I would need to teach eighth graders what a noun is. I mean, I would understand if they didn't know what a collective noun is since I had no idea what it was until I made the lesson plan. But for the love of knowledge, at least get proper nouns correct.

Ok, I'll stop with the educational disappointment. Probably not professional to blog about the intellect of the kids you're teaching for the summer. To make a long story short, let's just say I'm going to lose my voice pretty soon. I have to yell for my students to line up properly on a daily basis more times than I can count.

Oh summer, please go away soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment