Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Growing Up and Plain Stupidity

This is for all those people who wish they could be a kid again and be "carefree": Stop lying to yourself.

I read a quote somewhere that stated people have a hard time being happy because they make the past better than it was (and some stuff about the present and future). I don't remember the rest of the quote enough to paraphrase it because the part about the past is what stood out the most to me. All I remember about being a kid was wanting to grow up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wished that. There comes a point in people's lives when they want to stop growing up and they start fabricating a sense of true bliss in their childhood, even if there was none.

Looking at a classroom of 18 children everyday brings back old memories. I've realized this for some time now, but it wasn't until recently that I finally truly understood why my teachers in elementary school and junior high disliked me. It's like looking at myself, except multiplied by 5.

I'm glad I grew up. Growing up brings maturity (in the little doses it comes in), intelligence, and plain common sense.

I swear I've never seen such stupidity for a long time. The class I teach has gotten so disobedient that they have to hold hands while they are in line. These are sixth graders we're talking about. Embarrassing, right? I bet you could never imagine that being more stressful to the teacher than the students holding hands. Student A was holding Student B's hand while walking down the stairs. Student A jumps off at however high up he was. Being the bright student he is (I refrained myself from calling a 10-11 year old a dumbass on my own blog), he's still holding Student B's hand and drags him to a painful accident. That's when I walk in. I left my class in the hands of my volunteers (little teacher aides) while I was on break. I turn the corner to see a bunch of students from my class huddled around a crying sixth grade boy on the ground.

Stupidity is a rampant virus spreading throughout the class I teach only. Every other class is fine. It's just affecting my class of ne'er-do-wells. Let's just say that was the third worst thing to happen today.

No comments:

Post a Comment