Saturday, November 27, 2010

Just Dance

"Everyone secretly wishes they can just break out and dance" - James

How true. I've heard people say "I can't dance" or "I wish I knew how to dance" so many times. Everyone has the ability to dance. It then goes into if you can do it well or not. But don't fret, no one can be Michael Jackson right off the bat.

There are many reasons why someone should dance. You could be looking for a new hobby. You could be starting it with a bunch of friends for fun.

This brings me down memory lane of why I started dancing. I used to believe that I couldn't dance. I used to say all that stuff (in the first paragraph). I just thought dancing was cool, but it never crossed my mind that I would be a dancer. Then comes the problem every high school boy comes across in their senior year.

Prom is coming and I don't know how to dance.

Basically, my prom date is one heck of dancer. I didn't want to embarrass her by not knowing how to dance. If you're a guy, you know what went through my head. We're supposed to be the guys. We have to take the lead. But how can we take the lead when we have no idea what to do. Solution? The internet. I spent who knows how long looking up videos and browsing forums in hopes of learning how to dance. I asked a friend to help teach me. The months leading up to prom were spent learning how to dance. And you know what? It was fun.

I enjoyed myself learning. I used to practice by myself on an empty train platform as I waited for the train to come. I used to try and play it off if a stranger walked on the platform and saw me. Soon, that didn't even matter anymore. I would just tune them out with the sound of music blasting from my iPod.

If it weren't for the common dilemma guys face when high school prom approaches, I might not be dancing. I look back and I'm proud of the initiative I took to dance. To everyone out there who thinks they can't dance: Yes you can. Incredible dancing skills aren't gonna be served to you on a plate. You're gonna have to practice. But it's fun.

1 comment: